Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Etsy Artist: Jeremy Miranda

I'm currently browsing Etsy for fun and happened to stumble upon this awesome artist, Jeremy Miranda.  He's a Massachusetts-based painter working in Gloucester near the Back Shore, which is where he goes as often as possible to paint.  According to this spotlight interview/biography, Jeremy Miranda gets a lot of his inspiration from nature and architecture.  You'll see a lot of greenhouses and icebergs in his shop, which he likes painting because they "blur the line between landscape and architecture".  I have to agree, there's something very structural yet organic about both.
Take a look:




Aren't these lovely?  The thing that really amazes me is his sense of light.  His paintings just have this BEAUTIFUL glow about them.  Check out that awesome yellow!  He also paints pretty loosely by the looks of it, and it's amazing what he can achieve with a few brush strokes.  These are a few of my favorite things from his shop:


I love the afternoon-ish lighting  on the iceberg.

The water is amazing, I just want to dive in and take a swim.  Or not...actually, it looks pretty cold.


Gosh, don't you just love this??  The geometric-ness of the iceberg is so different from all his other iceberg paintings.  Also, one of my favorite things to look at in paintings is how the artist renders things that are supposedly one color.  Things like blank walls and smooth, monotone surfaces are the most intimidating things to paint, because it's SO easy to end up with a flat, depthless looking surface.  I think the coolest thing is how this iceberg has all kinds of blues, greens, purples and grays in it, but your brain still perceives it as a white object.  

I like these next two so much because you can see how the whole painting is made up of all these very simple elements.





Look at that LIGHT!

Jeremy Miranda also has some very nice drawings in his Etsy shop.  The ink and watercolor (or maybe gouache?) combo reminds me of old botanical prints.  I'm a fan of the mushrooms in this one, and the colors of the moss and the little log thingy are great.


Anyways, I hope you enjoyed some of these paintings, because I sure did.  Take a peek around his Etsy shop, and also his website if you are so inclined. :)

See you guys later.

P.S. I'll be posting a paintcam update tomorrow, which I've been bad about.  Sorry. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment